Monday, August 09, 2010

The Great Moth war

Using the pheremone moth lures I figured out that the main infestation seems to be coming from my wifes upstairs sewing room. However as most of my collectible wool is in a basement room I hit that right away with some of the yellow no pest strips. Better known as Gulf no pest strips, these slowley release a version of permethrin.

Permethrin is toxic to cats, but not dogs and humans. The permethrin vapor coming off the yellow strips settles to the ground, where most moths live, and acts as a neuro-agent. Its safe to use as long as people, or dogs, don't spedn a lot of time (like sleeping) in the area. Within a day after starting that I picked up no more moths in my basement traps.

I then nuked the house using aresol permethrin spayers. These are cmmonly found in hardware stores, and you seal the house, turn them on, and leave for 2 hours, then come back and ventilate. Now this is going to kill all the living moths, but probably not touch the eggs, which can hatch in a few to ten days. So I am going to have to do it again in 10 days.

One thing I had just never connected with, is that if you have a dog (or cat), they make you more suspectable to clothes moths. They shed and leave hair on the floor. Moths eat wool as it is an animal hair- just like pet fur. So if you have pet fur sitting around under the sofa or whatever, a moth flitting in has a greater chance of finding food for the babies.

And as moths are crappy flyers and like to stay low on the ground, it makes the best preventative measure against them is to vacuum.

Now I feel like I am fighting a guerilla war aginst them.

No comments: